Quick and Easy Snacks
- by Teva's Lift MS Team
- January 30, 2017
Feed your cravings with these tasty, nutritious treats!
We’ve all been there. You eat a healthy meal, and then, a few hours later, your stomach starts to rumble. We can help you deal with these cravings with a few of our easy-to-make snacks! They take little time to prepare and can help you stay nourished throughout your day.
Good nutrition is important for everyone. According to the National MS Society, a small protein snack in the afternoon may help you feel more alert. They also recommend that you never go longer than four hours without food, so occasional small snacks are a great way to keep yourself going throughout the day.
What are some of your favorite go-to snacks? Let us know in the comments below. If you send us an original recipe, we might feature it in a future By the Bite blog post! You can also find a few other ways that may help make daily life just a little bit easier in our Tips and Tricks series. Be sure to talk to your health care provider before making any changes to your diet.
Peanut Butter Balls
- 1 cup instant oats
- ½ cup peanut butter (We like creamy, but crunchy works, too!)
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup flaxseed
- ⅓ cup honey
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Optional: ¼ cup chia seeds
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. The mixture will be a little sticky.
- After mixing, roll ingredients into balls about the size of a golf ball. You can use your hands or a small scoop will work well too.
- Place the balls on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Be sure to leave some room between each ball.
- Freeze for 1–2 hours, then enjoy in moderation! We recommend putting the leftover snacks in the refrigerator.
Crispy Kale Chips
- 1 bunch or bag of kale
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- For a simple option: sea salt
- For a cheesy option: parmesan and pepper
- For a spicy option: red pepper flakes and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper for a quicker clean-up.
- Remove the kale leaves from the stems, then dispose of the stems.
- Cut or tear the leaves into pieces.
- Spread the pieces on the cookie sheet, leaving room between each piece.
- Drizzle a small amount of extra-virgin olive oil on the kale pieces.
- Bake 10–15 minutes, turning halfway through, until the edges are brown but not burnt. Bake them a little longer for crispier chips or a little less if you like your chips on the chewier side.
- Here’s where you can mix things up with whatever seasoning you’d like! After you’ve baked the chips, keep it simple and add sea salt. For a cheesy option, sprinkle parmesan and pepper over the cooked chips. If you prefer a spicier chip, add red pepper flakes and pepper.
- 2 cans (15 oz.) chickpeas
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and mashed
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup tahini
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For a garlic option: one full head of garlic (or to taste)
- For a cilantro-jalapeño option: one cup of fresh cilantro and one jalapeño (or to taste)
- For a tomato-basil option: 10–12 cherry tomatoes and 10–12 fresh basil leaves (or to taste)
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender.
- Blend until you reach the desired texture, then enjoy with carrots, celery or pita chips.
- Try the garlic, cilantro-jalapeño or tomato-basil options above to ramp up the flavor! All you need to do is throw the extra ingredients into the food processor or blender with the others, blend and enjoy.
We’re ready for a snack. Are you? If you’re craving something sweet, our Holly Jolly Peppermint Popcorn is delightful. Or, if you are looking for a full meal, our Honey-Soy Sauce Pork Chop or Lime Marinated Chicken with Avocado Salsa are great healthy options to fill you up. You can also watch some recipes come to life on the Lift MS Facebook Page. We hope you enjoy these recipes! Let us know what you think by leaving a comment below.
We hope you liked this post! If you want to hear more from us, register to receive updates delivered straight to your inbox!
More posts you might like
Get the latest posts
and resources from Teva's Lift MS.
Deborah | January 31, 2017These are the most healthy, I'm going for taste, recipes. Thank you very much. These will be my go to's when friends come over. Thank you , again.
Teva's Lift MS Team | February 01, 2017Thanks for your kind words, Deborah! Comments like yours fuel our efforts to build a helpful community.
Carol | January 31, 2017yesterday on my facebook you posted something like a Bad man's treat. I didn't get all the ingredients written down could you post it again? I don't always try all your receipes but what I have tried I like.
Teva's Lift MS Team | February 13, 2017Hi Carol, you may enjoy some of the holiday recipes we have shared such as the Holly Jolly Peppermint Popcorn. They can be found here: https://www.liftms.com/motivation/holiday-recipes. We also shared a hummus recipe recently, which is included in this blog post. We're happy to hear you are enjoying our recipes. Let us know which ones are your favorites!
Pam | February 23, 2017Allergies to nut products, red meat, tuna, watermelon, zucchini. Any snack ideas? Alternative to chickpeas to make a hummus?
Penny | March 04, 2017Having the nutritional information would be very helpful for these recipes.
eLaine | March 17, 2017I don't have MS tho' I have family that does.
I'm writing because I like the recipes you've shared here. Healthier snacks for anyone.
I also like the information you share.
Teva's Lift MS Team | March 20, 2017We love hearing that you like us, eLaine!
Wendy moller | April 24, 2017I would like m s recipe
Teva's Lift MS Team | April 25, 2017Thank you for reaching out, Wendy. You may find what you are looking for in this blog post: https://www.liftms.com/motivation/ms-recipes-pork-chop. We hope this helps.
Lorraine | April 24, 2017I have been looking for a good recipe for Hummus. Thank you
I am not online so that made my day
Teva's Lift MS Team | April 25, 2017Hurray! We love hearing that Lift MS has been helpful – that’s just what we intended! We appreciate your part in those efforts, Lorraine.
Dianne | June 04, 2017This is really helpful all the up dates on ms and all the recipes. Thank you and keep me updated and send different recipes.
Teva's Lift MS Team | June 05, 2017We’re glad you like the blog, Dianne! Check out Teva’s Lift MS Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/liftms. We think you’ll like it.